10 things I learned in high school
1. You don't have to dress like Barbie/Ken everyday.
> Some days I dressed all cutesy and some days I didn't, but in the end it won't matter! I don't really remember (or care) what anyone wore. I did know a lot of girls who thought everyday was a fashion show. I laugh at the thought of trying to be perfect (body, style, and beauty wise) in high school. Odds are you won't even see your high school peers almost ever again, so don't sweat being "perfect".
2. It's okay to take a break.
> I tried so hard to be on top of everything all the time. I was always planning things and always stressing over homework. If you're into running, writing, photography, baking, movie watching, soccer, or just anything you love then you should really take a break every now and then and just enjoy yourself.
3. Trying your best will pay off in the long run.
> I wish that I had tried way harder when it came to grades rather than my social level. Yes, you should be social and make lots of friends so you can look back and smile about the past but you should really care about your grades too. I didn't take college or a career seriously until I got my transcripts and cried (a lot) inside. I had straight A's most of my senior year (when I moved to Hawaii my GPA took a turn for the worst), but the past 3 years were heartbreaking. Also, try your best in everything you do, whether it's sports, clubs, grades, etc. just try your best. Trying your best doesn't mean you'll get straight A's or be the best athlete in your sport, it means that you will do everything in your power to be your absolute best self.
4. Investing in a planner might save your life.
> To those people who go through high school without writing everything in a planner... HOW? I wouldn't have gotten through one term, let alone a whole year, without a planner. Writing everything down... tests, appointments, assignments, study time... honestly saved my life. Using a planner isn't lame (if you think it is then you're probably lame), it's smart and really helpful.
5. Being apart of the gossip girls corner is a waste of time.
> Looking back I can't believe how many rumors were spread (like wildfire) through my school. Gossiping is such a waste of time! You're probably thinking, Kailee, this is the dumbest thing to list, but I can't even begin to tell you how many pointless things I heard about other people.
6. Moving on is apart of the process.
> Once we all graduated we went and did different things... college, marriage, kids, jobs, moving out of state, etc... I only see Mike anymore! I'm not complaining about that, I'm just saying that, sure, your best friends in high school are/were important, but reality will kick you in the butt after high school ends. Be prepared for losing old friends and making brand new ones.
Also, leave the high school drama in actual high school.
7. Make as many friends as possible.
> I know #3 kinda made the whole friends thing not seen so important but I know how much friends mean to teens in high school. Friends make or break you. Choose wisely. I had a very bad group of friends 9th grade, 10th got a little better, 11th was my best year with friends and then by the end of my senior year my friend list dwindled down to one. I have fantastic memories with my old friends, I just hope to see them again some day down the road.
8. Bullying should never be tolerated.
> So let me start this one off by saying when I moved during the 8th grade and started at AFJH I met this wonderful boy named Josh. We liked each other and "dated" (ohhhh jr high relationships). We had foods together and we went to my house after school to eat pie and play video games (which I always won by the way... unless he just let me win). We broke things off because friends was just better for us (plus we were in jr high). And then last year he took his own life. I'm not completely sure if bullying was the cause to his actions, but I know a lot of people were saying it might've been apart of it. After I had heard the news I began to think of all of the what-if's throughout the past few years that included Josh. Could I have made a difference? I sat with Josh at lunch junior year. I talked to him all the time. We had science together. High school was such a small part in our lives and it hurts to know that Josh isn't experiencing what's going on right now. The day of his funeral I was sitting in Seminary and my teacher started talking about life after death and suicide and I completely lost it. I cried my eyes out. Then my mom checked me out for the funeral, it was a beautiful service, I cried the whole time (I couldn't even sing the songs), and after hearing Josh's families words, I knew that they forgave him and that they were trying to understand why he did what he did. It's weird, but their words gave me a bit of closure. Later that week my mom bought me a sculpture of a hand making the peace sign, every time I look at it I think of Josh and know he's found peace. If you ever think someone's being bullied or you see it first hand then you should do something about it immediately.
9. Going to class is worth it
> I'm about 80% sure that I missed more days of school than I actually went. All of those attendance schools were not worth it. Obviously missing a day or two every once in a while is totally fine, but be sure to make it to class most of the time. I look back sometimes and am actually surprised I graduated haha. I didn't really like high school (I was bullied every now and then) so maybe that was the reason I missed so much, or maybe I'm just coming up with excuses... whatever the reason was preventing me from attending school was totally pointless. Go. To. School.
10. Procrastination can, in fact, fail.
> Obviously procrastination works for a lot of people, but it's so much easier just to do your work on time (planner time). Especially when big papers/projects have a set due date definitely plan ahead and just do it. I wish that I hadn't put things off so much. Just do your work on time and I promise you your high school life will be a little bit easier. I got almost everything turned in on time, but you'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't be) at how many people never did their work on time. So for all you kiddies who think procrastination is the God of everything due date, I'm sorry to break your religious homework views but, sometimes it just won't work.
Sorry for such a long post
One
-Ed Sheeran
love, k.

No comments:
Post a Comment